As mentioned in my last blog, Banana Rasa was my take on my Mom's Banana Rasayana or as they say in Kannada Balehannina rasayana . So i thought why not share with you all my mother's recipe.There are two ways of making this dish. One is the shortcut simple way and the other one is the more elaborate one.On days when we wanted to eat Rasayana and my mother had very little time to make it, she would you use the shortcut method. Rasayana is served at the end of the traditional meal to cool down the stomach.
- Ripe Bananas 3 finely chopped (preferably not too ripe)
- Milk 1 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar 2-3 tsp or as per taste
- Powdered Cardamom(elaichi) 1/4 tsp
- Freshly grated coconut 1 tbsp
- Add cold milk to the finely chopped bananas.
- Add in the sugar and mix well.
- Lastly add the cardamom powder and grated coconut to finish the dish.
This dish tastes good when eaten alone as well as when eaten with pooris.
More elaborate method:
- Ripe Bananas 3 (Preferably not too ripe)
- Jaggery powder 1 1/4 cup
- Coconut milk 1 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Peel the bananas and chop into small pieces.
- Mix together jaggery, coconut milk, cardamom powder and salt
- Stir till jaggery dissolves.
- Add chopped bananas.