This is an all time favorite in my house though i have changed the authentic palak paneer to suit our family tastes. Hopefully you will also enjoy this dish the same way as we do.
- 1 bunch Palak (cleaned and washed)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1/4 tsp jeera
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- Salt as per taste
- 1/8th cup cream
- 200 gm paneer cubed
- 2-3 tsp oil
- Blanch the palak (spinach) in a some boiling water for about 10 minutes. When the spinach has been blanched, drain the hot water and run it through some cold water . This helps to retain the green color of the spinach.
- In a nonstick pan, heat some oil. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add the onion and mix well.
- Then add the grated ginger and garlic. I like to add the ginger and garlic after adding the onion because adding the onion first regulates the temperature of the oil and prevents the burning of garlic and ginger.
- When the onion slightly changes color, add the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes have been cooked, add the dry masalas like haldi, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder.
- Cook for sometime and turn off the heat. Cool it.
- Now grind the spinach and the onion tomato masala in to a fine puree.
- Heat the same nonstick pan and add the puree and cook in medium heat.Add salt and ketchup. If you think the puree is too thick, add some water.
- Now add the cubed paneer and mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and cook on low for 5-7 minutes.
- At the end, add the cream and mix.
- Serve hot.
- If you are using store bought paneer, make cubes and put them in a microwave safe bowl add some water just enough to soak the paneer. Also add salt. Heat it in the microwave for about 2 -3 minutes and then drain the water and add it to the gravy. This way the paneer is very soft. To make home made paneer, click here.