In my hometown, Mangalore, a snack called GOLIBAJE is very popular. In other parts of the country, golibaje is very popular by the name MANGALORE BONDA. Mangalore bonda is made by making a thick batter of All purpose flour, yogurt, green chillies, ginger, salt and then deep fried and served with spicy chutney. I will be posting the detailed recipe soon. But it so happened that I was short on yogurt and my kiddo insisted on eating these for evening snack. I was going through my pantry and thats when I got an idea. I saw the instant buttermilk pancake mix and I just knew what to do. Buttermilk pancake mix basically had some important ingredients (all purpose flour, buttermilk in the dried state, salt and cooking soda ) that I needed to make Mangalore Bonda. So I went ahead and made the fritters using the butter milk pancake mix and the result was amazing. The fritters or bonda were amazing. They had a perfect shape and nice fluffy texture.
As soon as I made these fritters, they were gone in 10 minutes and I got a big thumbs up from my DH and DS. I served these fritters with Cilantro-Mint Chutney.
- 1 cup Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 tsp grated Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida or hing
- 2-3 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped Cilantro
- Water as needed
- Vegetable or Canola Oil for deep frying
- Mix all the ingredients and add water little by little to make a thick batter. The consistency should be thicker than the dosa batter. I did not add salt as the mix already had salt in it.
|Notice the constistency of the batter. It needs to be thick.|
- Heat the oil . The oil is ready to use when you drop a small portion of the batter and it comes up right away.When the oil is hot, take a portion of the batter in your hand and drop it carefully in to the hot oil. Donot keep the heat on very high setting as the fritters will get cooked very fastly from outside but still remain uncooked in the center.
- When it is nice golden brown in color , remove the fritters or bondas from the oil and place them on a plate with a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
|Nice fluffy texture of the fritters|
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.