I love Jack Fruit. During my childhood days, I used to wait for my summer vacation so that I could to my ancestral home and spend my time having a good time with my cousins and of course eat a lot of mangoes and Jackfruit. Me and my cousin, both huge lovers of jackfruit would volunteer to help my aunt in cleaning and separating the ripe jackfruit pods because we knew our hard work would be paid off really well with the yummy delicacies about to be prepared from these jackfruit pods. As we cleaned and separated the jackfruit pods, we would much a few just as is.. Mum would repeatedly warn me not overeat:)
One of the quick dishes that my aunt used to prepare from the ripe Jackfruit pods was Tempered Jackfruits / Halasina hannina oggarne. Very easy to prepare and makes a great snack. You can also serve it as a part of the meal.
- Ripe Jackfruit pods : 8-10 (deseeded)
- Oil : 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Dry red Chillies: 2 (broken)
- Curry leaves : 4-5
- Turmeric powder : 1/8 tsp
- Salt and Black pepper as per taste
- Jaggery powder : 1 tsp
- Freshly shredded coconut : 1/4 cup
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Clean and deseed the jackfruit pods. Chop them into small pieces.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. When hot, season the oil with mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped jackfruit. Add the turmeric powder and sprinkle some water. Cook covered in medium heat until the jackfruit is soft and tender.
- Add the jaggery powder, salt and pepper.
- Lastly add freshly shredded coconut and give a final mix.
- Serve hot as a snack or a part of a meal.