Baking has become a passion of mine over the years. When I am baking, the entire house fills up with such nice aroma and makes me super happy:) So when the team of "Culinary Hoppers" chose "BAKES" as the topic of the blog hop event, I was super excited. I already have many cake and bread recipes in the blog (You can check all the other baking recipes here ). For this event, I wanted to make something beautiful , something perfect when you have friends over, a gorgeous bake that would make a great centerpiece on the dining table. That's when I thought about these yummy GARLICKY PULL APART BREAD.
Pull apart bread is a delicious bread that really pairs well with hot bowl of tomato soup or creamy tomato sauce. This yeasty bread is very easy to prepare and has a beautiful appearance too . I first spotted this bread in Pari's space and Pastry Affair a while back and I knew I had to make them. The moment I baked the first batch, it was gone in no time.. My kiddo kept asking for more. I had to bake a second batch again to serve with soup. :) We also enjoyed these warm buns with a delicious bulgarian tomato spread given to us by my friend Steffy:)
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
For the buns , you will need:
- All purpose flour / bread flour : 3.5 cups
- Active dry yeast : 2 tsp
- Salt : 2 tsp
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Water : 1 1/3 cup (Luke warm)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) : 2 tbsp
- Dry garlic powder : 1 tsp
For the spiced-butter mix, you will need:
- Melted butter (unsalted) : 1/4 cup
- Italian seasoning ( A blend of marjoram, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano,savory and sage) : 1.5 tsp (Note: instead of the italian seasoning, you could use 0.5 tsp dry basil, 0.5 tsp dry oregano and 0.5 tsp dry red chilli flakes)
- Garlic cloves : 2 big (finely chopped)
Other items :
- Add yeast and sugar to the luke warm water. Set it aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, yeast-water mixture will turn frothy. Note: An active yeast and the correct temperature of the water will ensure a frothy mixture. A perfect frothy mixture will ensure a good rise of the bread.
- In a big bowl, mix the all purpose flour / bread flour, salt , garlic powder and the EVOO. Start the stand mixer with the dough attachment. Slowly add the frothy yeast mixture and start kneading the dough for about 5-6 minutes. Note: If you don't have the stand mixer, you do the kneading with your hand. Time for kneading in this case, will take about 10 minutes. You should arrive at a smooth, elastic dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover it with a plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm place for about 1.5 hours and 2 hours or until the dough rises and doubles in size.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, italian seasoning and finely grated garlic.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough and knead it again.
- Pull out small portions of the dough (Size of bowl of a medium spoon). Dip it in the spiced butter mix and place it in the bottom of a greased bundt pan.Repeat the process until you have one layer of dough balls. Sprinkle 1/3rd of the parmesan cheese.
- In a similar way, make two more layers so that you have 3 layers in all.
- Cover the pan with a damp towel and let it balls double in size. This could take about 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 degree C.Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown.
- Place the pan on the cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then, unmould and serve warm with hot soup or tomato sauce.
Do check out other yummy bakes from the talented members of the CULINARY HOPPERS team.