Semiya Dahi Bhaat / Tempered vermicelli and yogurt is a delicious and flavorful alternative to the regular Dahi Bhaat / Yogurt Rice . This dish can be prepared in a jiffy and is loved by everyone in my family.Because of its beautiful appearance , it makes a great dish while entertaining guests.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
Serves : 4
- Vermicelli : 1 cup
- Water : 6 cups
- Oil : 1 tsp
- Yogurt : 1.5 cup
- Milk : 1/2 cup
- Cucumber (Peeled and finely chopped) : 3/4 cup
- Carrots (Peeled and finely grated) : 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate seeds : 1/4 cup plus little for garnish (Optional)
- Ginger (Finely grated) : 1 tbsp
- Green chillies (long variety , finely chopped) : 2
- Cilantro (finely chopped) : 2 tbsp
- Dry red chillies (broken) : 2
- Curry leaves : 5-6
- Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Black gram : 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts : 8 (broken)
- Clarified butter / Ghee : 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil. Add vermicelli and 1 tsp oil to it and cook for a couple of minutes until the vermicelli is cooked (Note : Keep an eye. Vermicelli gets cooked very quickly.)
- Once cooked, strain the water. Run some cold water to prevent further cooking.Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk.
- To this yogurt mixture , add the chopped cucumber, grated carrots, pomegranate seeds, cilantro and cooked vermicelli. Mix well. Adjust the consistency. Add some water if needed, if it is too thick.Add salt to taste.
- In a separate pan, heat ghee/clarified butter. When hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal/black gram, dried red chillies and curry leaves. When it the seeds start to splutter, add the broken cashews and fry for a minute. Later, add grated ginger and chopped chillies. Fry for a minute. Lastly add asafoetida/ hing. Turn off the heat.
- Pour this tempering over the vermicelli yogurt mixture.
- Mix well and serve garnished with pomegranate seeds.