Salads are very important in my house. Sometimes, I serve it as a side to the main meal while on other occasions, I serve it as a meal. Last week, I had shared the recipe of Thai salad with Peanut butter dressing which we eat as meal. Today, I will be sharing salad recipe from the Indian state of Karnataka.. "Kosambari". This salad is popularly prepared during the festival of Ram Navami. But it is so good, I prepare it often whether it is a festival or not.
Kosambari is very easy to prepare. All you need to do, soak the lentils in advance. Rest of the process can be put together in no time.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
Serves :2 to 4
- Moong Dal / Split green gram : 1/2 cup
- Cucumber : 1/2 cup (peeled and chopped)
- Carrot : 1/2 cup (peeled and grated)
- Freshly grated or shredded Coconut : 1/4 cup
- Cilantro : 1/4 (finely chopped)
- Lime juice : 2.5 tbsp
- Small green chillies : 2 (finely chopped)
- Salt as per taste
For the tempering , you will need:
- Oil : 1.5 tsp
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1 tsp
- Urad dal / split black gram : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : 6
- Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Wash and soak the lentils in water for 1 hour. After soaking, drain and set it aside.
- Take a mixing bowl, add the chopped vegetables, coconut, cilantro and green chillies. To this add the soaked lentils, lime juice and salt.Mix well.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the oil. When hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies. When the seeds start to splutter, add the asafoetida and curry leaves. Turn off the heat and add this tempering to the lentil mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad is served fresh. If you keep it for a long time, it starts leaving water and spoils the taste.
- You can also finely chopped raw mangoes or even pomegranates.