I was browsing through vahchef's website and among various interesting dishes, this particular recipe caught my attention. At the same time, I came to know about the "Healing foods" event hosted by Siri and happening at Krithi's blog. Since this recipe makes use of raw banana, I thought it would be perfect for the event.This dish can be served as an appetizer and also as a side dish when served with hakka noodles or fried rice.ENJOY!!
- Raw banana(Plantain) - 1 large
- Carrots - 2 medium
- Onion(finely chopped) - 4 tbsp + 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds or jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder or haldi - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Spring onion - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro leaves or coriander leaves (chopped) - 2 tbsp
- Amchur powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp or as per taste
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Green chillies - 2 slit (or as per taste)
- Oil - 2 tsp+ 2 tsp
- Garlic (finely chopped) - 4 big
- Soya sauce - 1tsp
- Boil the plantains till they become soft.
- Once cooled, remove the skin of the banana and grate it.Also grate the carrots.
- Heat some oil in a kadhai. (Do not use a lot of oil otherwise the balls will not turns out good.)
- When the oil is hot, add jeera.When they start to crackle, add onion and the ginger garlic paste. once the onion is cooked add the carrots and salt.Cook till the carrots are cooked and the extra moisture from the carrots has evaporated.
- Add cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and the coriander powder and mix well.
- Turn off the heat.
- Now add the grated plaintains and mix well.
- Make small balls (size of the gulab jamun).If you want you can use bread crumbs or a beated egg to help make balls. I did not use either of them and they turned out fine.
- Take a nonstick baking tray and put 2 tsp oil in it. Now roll the balls in this oil.
- Preheat the oven to 320 F and cook the balls for about 20 minutes.
- While the balls are cooking, heat the butter in a pan. When the butter has melted, add the garlic and the slit green chillies.Add 4 tbsp of chopped onion and fry.
- Now add the amchur powder, black pepper powder and salt.
- Add in the soy sauce.
- Add in the cilantro leaves and the green onions and mix well.
- Lastly add the baked balls and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Note: Plaintain is the main ingredient.but along with carrot, you can add other veggies like peas or dhoodhi. If using dhoodhi, grate it and then squeeze out the extra moisture out and then add it to the carrot .