Besan Laddoo is a delicious and popular sweet prepared during festive occasions in India. It prepared by roasting chickpea flour in clarified butter (ghee), sweetened with powdered sugar , flavored with cardamom and finally garnished with cashewnuts and raisins.
- Ladoo besan (Coarsely ground Chick Pea Flour) - 250 gms (Available in Indian stores)
- Powdered sugar - 250 gms
- Desi ghee / Clarified butter - 100 gms
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts, raisins (lightly fried in ghee)
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottomed pan. When the ghee comes to a smoking point , lower the heat and add the besan flour and keep mixing .
- The besan should be fried in low - medium heat. The besan should be cooked till a nice aroma starts coming and besan gets slightly reddish color. This does take some time but believe me the end result is worth it.:)
- Once the besan is done switch off the heat . When the besan has become warm (from the hot state) and is in a state that you can handle them with bare hands, add the sugar powder, cardamom powder and the fried nuts and raisins and mix well.
- Last but not the least make ladoos and enjoy..
- As an alternative garnish, take some everest milk masala in a plate. Slightly dip one end of the ladoos in ghee and and then in the everest milk masala and serve:)
- Ladoo besan is easily available in indian stores. It gives a nice texture to the ladoos so it is recommended.