Banana is a yummy fruit and very nutritious.It is also a fruit that kids love to eat (even picky eaters like my son:)). So it something that is always on my grocery list . Bananas that are too ripe are not too pleasant to eat. For such situations,I resort to baking.Chocolate banana cake is one such recipe where in you can use ripe bananas. This cake has the goodness of bananas plus it has chocolate...yummmy:)
Chocolate banana cake is an easy recipe. All you need is the ingredients and a couple of mixing bowls and a whisk :). Just mix the wet and dry ingredients , bake the cake and you have an amazing cake ready :) This recipe makes a big cake, so its great when you have friends coming over.
So here is how you make it.
Source: Joys of baking
- All purpose flour : 1 3/4 cup (245 grams)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or dutch processed) : 3/4 cup (75 grams)
- Regular white granulated sugar: 2 cups (400 grams)
- Ripe Bananas - 2 medium (1 cup mashed)
- Water ( luke warm) - 1 cup (240 ml)
- Milk - 1/2 cup (120 ml)
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 1/2 tsp(Stay away from the imitations)
- Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 1/2 tsp
- Canola / Vegetable oil (or any other flavorless oil) - 1/2 cup (120 ml)
- Eggs - 2 large
Note: As I always say, for perfect baking the quantities have to be accurate. Stress more on the weight mentioned in grams. (I always use a kitchen weighing scale:))
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Take a 9 X 13 inch pan and spray it with nonstick spray or you may just grease it with some butter.
- Peel and mash the bananas and keep it aside.
- In a big mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients namely flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, water, vanilla extract ,oil and the mashed bananas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Note: The cake batter is going to be very thin.
- Pour this batter to the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Note: The baking time varies from oven to oven. Personally in my case, it took about 38 minutes.
- Once done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once it has cooled, cut the cake in pieces of the desired size.
- Serve with chocolate syrup. You can very well top this cake with a chocolate ganache.