Cabbage is a great vegetable, very nutritious plus it cooks really fast too. I use cabbage in a lot of indian and chinese dishes. This cabbage sabzi is great with hot phulkas and is very easy to make. Read more..
- Cabbage - 4 cups (finely shredded or chopped)
- Carrot - 1 medium (2/3 rd cup) finely chopped
- Peas - 2/3 cup (fresh or frozen. If using fresh peas, boil them before using in the recipe)
- Onion - 1 medium (1/2 cup chopped)
- Tomato - 1 medium ( 1/2 cup chopped)
- Ginger - 1 tbsp grated
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 4-5 nos.
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard (rai) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera (cumin) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli -1
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar - 2 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Green chillies - 2 (slit in to halves)
- Cilantro (dhania) leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add jeera (cumin), urad dal, mustard (rai) seeds, and dry red chilli. When the seeds start to make a popping sound, add the curry leaves.
- Now, add onion and ginger and mix.
- When the onion starts to change color, add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and frozen peas, cover and cook on a low- medium heat till the carrots have cooked.
- Now add in the shredded cabbage and the green chillies.
- Add the dry masalas ( turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and sugar) and mix well
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Cabbage cooks very fast, so keep an eye.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot phulkas, chapatti or rice.