Rajasthani Cuisine is very flavorful .On one side, they have rich and heavy dishes like Dal Bhaati while on the other end they have simple yet delicious Kadhis. Kadhi Chawal is most commonly eaten meal combination in a Rajasthani house hold. Dahi Pakoda Kadhi is also known by the name "KHATTA" . Today we will learn how to make this simple yet delicious dish.
Source : Tarla dalal
For the kadhi we need
- Buttermilk(sour) : 4 cups (you can use sour yogurt instead)
- Besan / Chick pea flour : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder / Haldi : 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
For the pakodas we need
- Besan / Chick pea flour : 1 cup
- Cilantro (chopped) : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder / haldi : 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
- Green chillies (finely chopped) : 2
- Baking Soda : 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
For the tempering we need
- Ghee / Clarified butter : 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick : 1 inch
- Cloves / lavang : 2
- Fennel Seeds / saunf : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Ginger (grated) : 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) : 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Curry leaves : 4-6
- Red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp (or according to taste)
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
For the pakodas
- Mix all the ingredients (except oil). Add a little water to make a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. When hot, drop spoonfuls of batter in the hot oil. Fry them until the pakodas have turned crispy and golden brown in color. Once done, remove from the oil and drain them in an absorbent paper.
For the kadhi
- Mix buttermilk, salt, turmeric powder and besan. Add 1 cup of water to this. Bring this mixture to boil. (If using yogurt, adjust the quantity of water accordingly).
- In a separate pan, heat ghee. When hot, add the cinnamon stick, cloves, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and red chilli powder. Heat this mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add this tempering to the buttermilk mixture. Let it simmer for 7-9 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add the pakodas to the kadhi . Note : I prefer adding the pakodas to kadhi just before serving . That way the pakodas dont get mushy.Serve this kadhi hot with jeera rice or with Gatte ka Pulao.