Last few weeks have been really busy with loads of work going on in the house. I have been making some dishes that are quick and easy to make. Today I will be sharing one such recipe TEMPERED SWEET POTATOES (Genansina Oggarane). Chopped Sweet Potatoes are tempered and cooked then slightly sweetend with jaggery and finally garnished with fresh coconut and served. This dish can be served as a snack or a side dish item.
Sweet potatoes are very versatile. They can be roasted, fried, baked, boiled, grilled or even pureed. Apart from being versatile, they come with a lot of health benefits. Sweet potatoes especially with the ones with orange flesh are high in carotenoids like beta carotene. Carotenoids help strengthen our eyesight and boost our immunity to disease, they are powerful antioxidants that help ward off cancer and protect against the effects of aging. They are also rich in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin D. They are a good source of Iron , Magnesium and Potassium. You can learn more about the health benefits of Sweet Potatoes here
Now coming back to the dish, it is very easy to prepare and can be prepared in a jiffy. So let's get right to the recipe:)
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
Serves : 1-2
- Sweet Potatoes / Shakarkhand (peeled and cubed) : 2 cups ( I have used sweet potatoes with red skin.)
- Oil : 3 tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1/2 tsp
- Black gram / Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves / Kadi patta : 4-5
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
- Jaggery powder : 1 tbsp (you can use sugar instead)
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Freshly grated coconut : 2 tbsp
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and keep in them in water until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes. Mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt and pepper.
- Add some water (I used approximately 1/4 cup of water). Cover and cook.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, add the powdered jaggery.
- Lastly, add the freshly grated coconut and serve warm.