Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables. I love cooking with it and use it either in curries, sabzi or in sambar. Today, I will be sharing with you all a very delicious and easy to prepare sabzi that goes perfectly well with hot phulkas or roti.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Eggplant / baingan (small variety) : 500 grams
- Onion (finely chopped) : 1 cup
- Tomato (finely chopped) : 3/4th cup
- Garlic (finely chopped) : 1 tbsp heaped
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Dry red chillies :2 broken
- Urad dal / black gram : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds / rai : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves / Kadi patta : 5-6
- Turmeric powder / haldi : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder / dhania powder : 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder : 1 tsp (Adjust according to taste)
- Jaggery powder / Sugar : 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Wash the eggplants and cut them in to pieces and keep them in salt water until ready for use.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan.When hot, add the cumin seeds, urad dal, mustard seeds and dry red chillies. When the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves.
- Now, add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook the onions until the are pink and translucent.
- Drain the water from the eggplants and add the eggplants to the pan. Also add the tomatoes.Mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and the red chilli powder. Cover and cook on medium heat until the eggplant is cooked.
- Once the eggplant has cooked, add salt and the jaggery powder. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly add the chopped cilantro.
- Serve with roti or rice.