Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Moth beans / Matki : 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 3 (roughly broken with hands)
- Red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / hing : 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds / Rai / Mohri : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves/ kadi patta : 7-8
- Goda Masala : 1 tsp (optional)
- Jaggery powder : 1 tbsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Freshly grated coconut : 2 tbsp (If using frozen, thaw before using)
- Cilantro (chopped) : 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Wash the beans and soak the beans in enough water for 8 hours. Drain the water and place the beans in a damp cloth. Tie up the cloth. Cover and keep it in a warm place for a day. You will get beautiful bean sprouts.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and broken red chillies. When the seeds start to splutter, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder,goda masala, asafoetida and the curry leaves.
- Add the bean sprouts. Add salt and mix well.
- Add some hot water so that it covers the beans completely. Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat.After sometime, open the lid and check if the beans are cooked. (You may add some hot water, if you see that the beans are still uncooked).
- Once the beans are good, add the powdered jaggery, shredded coconut and cilantro.Mix well.
- Squeeze some lime juice and you are ready to dig in :)