This recipe was given to me by my cousin's wife Sushma. Thanks dear. This is a great recipe when you want to enjoy idlis and you do not have enough time to let the batter ferment.
- 1 cup Rava (semolina)
- 1 cup curd (yoghurt)
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 Carrot (grated)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp channa dal
- 1 pinch hing
- Cashews broken into pieces
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- Heat some ghee in a kadhai. Once it is hot, add in urad dal, channa dal, rai (mustard seeds), cashews, hing and curry leaves. Now add in the rava and mix well. You need to roast the rava. To save time, you can dry roast the rava in advance and store. This not only saves time while cooking but also ensures that worms wont form in the rava. Turn off the heat. Set this rava aside to cool down to room temperature.
- Once this mixture has cooled, add in the grated carrots and cilantro leaves.
- Add the yoghurt to the mixture and mix well. The batter should be of the consistency of idli batter. It should not be too thick nor too runny. You might want to add a little water (not any more curd) to adjust the consistency. You can add water but not extra yoghurt. I used about approximately 1/4 -1/2 cup of water.
- Put salt and mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds with ghee or oil and heat the pressure cooker with some water in it.
- Just before pouring the batter in the moulds, add the baking soda and mix gently.
- Pour the idli into the moulds and steam them on high heat for 10 minutes (remember not to put the whistle on the cooker).
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat , but do not open the lids. Let it rest for 5 minutes and then open the lid.
- Enjoy these instant idlis with chutney of your choice and sambar. I served these with pearl onion sambar and coconut chutney.
- As a variation, instead of using one cup of Rava, you can use 1/2 cup of Rava and 1/2 cup of Vermicelli. If you want some heat, you can add in some green chillies too.
- Add the baking soda just when you are ready to put the batter in the idli moulds.