Palak leaves -3 cups (cleaned and washed)
Onion - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Black pepper - 3/4 tsp (or as per taste)
Salt as per taste
Yogurt- 1 1/4 cup (or as per the desired consistency)
Butter / oil - 1 tsp
- Bring a pot of water to boil.When the water starts boiling, add the spinach/ palak and cook in this water for couple of minutes.
- We just want the spinach leaves to get blanched. Then drain the water and let some cold water run on this drained spinach. The cold water stops the further cooking of the leaves and helps them to maintain their green color.
- Cut these blanched leaves.
- Heat butter / oil in a wide mouthed pan. When it is hot, add the onion and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the chopped spinach leaves and mix well.
- To this add the crushed black pepper.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Once the mixture had cooled down , add the yogurt and the salt.
- Serve this raita with the pulao or biryani.