Maa Chole ki dal is a delicious dal based on Punjabi cuisine. It is made by combining split black gram ( split urad dal with black skin) and split bengal gram (Chana dal). This dish is not only tasty but very filling too. Serve it with plain rice or with jeera rice and you have a perfect meal.
- 1/2 cup split black gram dal (urad dal with the black skin)
- 1/2 cup split bengal gram (Chana dal)
- 1/2 cup pureed onion (or finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup pureed tomato (or finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic (grated)
- 2 green chillies (slit)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds or jeera
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder or haldi
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida or hing
- 1/4 tsp - 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust this quantity according to taste)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ghee
- 3 cups of water
- salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Wash both the dals and soak them for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. When it is hot, add the cumin seeds. When it starts to crackle, add the onion , grated ginger and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the tomato and mix well.
- After cooking the onion tomato mixture for about 3 minutes, add haldi (turmeric powder), red chilli powder , hing and garam masala. Mix well and add the slit green chillies.
- Now add the two dals and mix well. Add 3 cups of water. Add salt to taste and pressure cook for about 3-4 whistles. Remove from the stove and set it aside, till the pressure reduces.
- Once the pressure reduces, open the lid and mix well. Heat it again for some more time until it starts simmering. At this time, adjust the consistency of the dal. Using the back of the laddle, mash small quantity of dals so that you get a smooth gravy like texture. Note: This dal should not be watery. It needs to have a nice thick texture. Lastly add the chopped cilantro leaves and give it a final mix and turn off the heat.
- Serve it with hot plain rice or with jeera rice and enjoy :)