Panchvati Dal is a dal or curry made using five types of lenthils. For vegetarians like myself, Dals or lenthils are a great source of proteins.So I try to use lentils either by making Dal curries or using them in parathas or using them along with rice to make khitchdi .
- Yellow moong dal : 1/4 cup
- Channa dal : 1/4 cup
- Urad dal (black gram ) : 1/4 cup (I used split black gram with skin)
- Toor or tuvar dal : 1/4 cup
- Masoor dal : 1/4 cup
- Onion : 1 cup (chopped)
- Tomato : 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger : 1 inch (grated)
- Garlic : 2-3 big cloves (grated)
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) : 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp (Adjust according to taste)
- Garam masala : 1 tsp
- Ghee or oil : 1 tbsp+ 1 tsp
- Cinnamon : 1 inch
- Bay Leaf : 1
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Curry Leaves : 4 nos
- Lemon Juice : 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cilantro : 2 tbsp chopped
- Mix all the dals or lentils , wash them. Now add 3 3/4th cup of water and soak the dals for 30 minutes. Add turmeric powder and 1 tsp oil. Pressure cook the lentils ( about 3 whistles).
- Heat oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pan, When hot, add the bayleaf and cinnamon. Next add the cumin seeds , mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start to splatter, add the onions ,grated ginger and garlic and mix.When the onions turn translucent, add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- When the tomatoes have cooked and turned mushy, add the pressure cooked lentils. Mix well.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more water if needed. Now add the garam masala, red chilli powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Lastly add the lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Serve tasty PANCHVATI DAL with steamed rice or Jeera rice or with rotis.