Buttermilk fruitcake is a delicious cake that can be prepared even at a short notice. It is nicely moist, loaded with raisins and dates and flavored with aromatic spices. Most of all it is eggless.
Last year during Christmas , I had posted a recipe on Easy Fruit cake. This year , I wanted to try something on similar lines but eggless. I tried this recipe and we all liked it so much that baked another loaf soon after. This cake tastes well with your morning coffee. This is also my entry to the second segment of the Blog Hop event.
This is how you too can make this cake...
- All purpose flour / Maida : 200 grams ( 1 1/2 cups)
- Pitted dates : 1/2 cup packed (90 grams)
- Sugar : 2/3 cup ( 130 grams)
- Salt : 1/4 tsp
- Allspice powder : 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder : 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder : 1 tsp
- Baking soda : 1 tsp
- Unsalted Butter : 1/2 cup (113 grams)
- Butter Milk : 1 cup (240 ml) (I used store bought)(Buttermilk should be at room temperature)
- Pure Vanilla Extract : 1/2 tsp
- Green raisins : 1/2 cup (65 grams)
- Golden raisins : 1/2 cup (65 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (165 C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour or use a nonstick baking spray on a 9 inch x 5 inch x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Put 1/2 cup (65 grams) of flour on a cutting board and chop the dates. The flour prevents the dates from getting too mushy. The dates should be well covered with the flour.
- Put the flour-date mixture into a big mixing bowl. Also add the remaining flour (135 grams), salt,spices (allspice powder, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder) baking soda and sugar. Mix .
- Whisk melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the raisins too. Mix until everything is well incorporated. Pour this batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan in the baking sheet and bake for 50-55 minutes. The cake is ready when it starts to pull away from the sides and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Remove from the oven and place it on the cooling rack.
- After about 15-20 minutes, you can remove the cake from the pan .
- Slice and serve . The slices come out perfect if the cake has cooled down