As I have said so many times before, my mum has been my guru, my inspiration and my role model when it comes to cooking. She can create an amazing dish even with bare minimum ingredients. Well I can go on and on about her :) Instead, I will share with you all yet another delicious recipe of hers. This is a quick recipe and makes a great side dish. Masaledar Aloo ki Sabzi / Spicy potato Cubes oozes with flavors.
I have added RASAM POWDER. Rasam powder is a blend of spices like cumin, coriander, fenugreek and red chillies. So rather than adding each of these spices separately, I have used this blend . This dish is so good that sometimes , I just eat this sabzi with rice with a dollop of ghee (Clarified butter) and I am in heaven:) .
So here is the recipe...
- Potato : 2.5 cups (Cubed and kept in water until ready to use)
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Curry leaves : 4
- Asafoetida (hing) : 1/4 tsp
- Sugar : 3 tsp (or as per taste)
- MTR Rasam Powder : 2.5 - 3 tsp (See Notes *)
- Amchur powder (Dry Mango Powder) : 1 tsp (See Notes **)
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cilantro : 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. When the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and add the potatoes to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, amchur powder, rasam powder and salt. Mix well
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook covered on medium heat.
- Once most moisture has gone, open the lid. The potatoes need to be cooked but should not turn mushy.
- Add sugar, mix. Finally add chopped cilantro.
- Serve spicy potato cubes or Aloo sabzi with roti or rice.
*I use home made rasam powder or MTR rasam powder. MTR is my preferred brand.
**If you do not have Amchur powder, you can use lemon juice instead.