Paneer is my family's favorite..especially my kid's favorite. So I try and make a variety of dishes. I wanted to make something spicy this time. When I first made Paneer Bell Pepper masala ,it was liked so much by everyone that everyone ate couple of rotis more :) That my friends for me is the ultimate verdict whether the dish is a hit or a miss:) The combination of Paneer and Bell pepper works really well in this recipe.This recipe has been adapted and customized from the recipe that I found here. Serve Paneer Bell Pepper Masala with roti / naan/ or bread of your choice.
- Paneer : 400 gms cubed
- Bell Pepper (Capsicum) :1 Large or 1.5 cups thinly sliced (I used orange bell pepper, you can use any kind)
- Ginger Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
- Sliced Onions : 1 cup
- Coriander seeds : 6 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 6 (I used byadagi chillies)
- Tomato : 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Tomato puree: 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi : 1.5 tsp + 0.5 tsp
- Cinnamon stick : 1 inch
- Green Cardamom : 1
- Bay leaf : 1
- Cream : 2 tbsp
- Cilantro leaves : 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water ( approximately 1 - 1.5 cups)
- Butter : 2.5 tbsp (You can use oil instead or a combination of oil and butter)
- Dry roast red chillies and coriander seeds. Once roasted, set it aside to cool. Later grind them in to a fine powder.
- Heat oil/butter in a thick bottomed pan. When the oil is hot, add the bayleaf, cinnamon and green cardamoms. Now add the ginger garlic paste and stir.
- Add the sliced onions and fry . Once the onions have turned translucent, add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and mix well.
- Add the powdered red chilli - coriander mix (the one that we prepared in step 1), turmeric powder and mix well. Saute till the oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Now add thinly sliced bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water. Now add 1.5 tsp of kasoori methi , garam masala and salt .Simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Add cubed paneer and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Towards the end, add cream and mix well. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Finally add chopped cilantro. Lastly sprinkle 0.5 tsp of kasoori methi .
- Serve hot with Roti/Naan or any bread of your choice.