Millet Stir Fry is a delicious and easy to prepare dish that makes a wholesome meal. Mixed vegetables are stir fried, flavored with ginger, garlic and chillies. After the addition of cooked millets, the mixture is drizzled with soy sauce- honey- rice vinegar solution. Lastly , millet stir fry is garnished with roasted peanuts and spring onion greens. A wholesome gluten free meal is ready to be served.
Apart from being gluten free, Millet is also alkaline which makes it easy for the body to digest it and helps balance the body's natural tendency towards acidity. Millet is also rich in dietary fiber making it a great solution for those who want to add more dietary fiber to their gluten free diet. Apart from this, Millets are rich in B vitamins, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc. But there is one word of caution, Millets are also mild thyroid peroxidase inhibitor and hence should not be consumed by those suffering from thyroid disease.For more information on Millets, click here.
Coming back to the dish, this is how you too can make this stir fry.
- Millets : 1/2 cup (used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- Water : 2 cups
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Red onions (finely sliced) : 1 cup
- Carrots (thinly sliced) : 1 cup
- Bell Pepper / Capsicum (cut into thin strips) : 1 cup
- Broccoli Florets : 1 cup
- Ginger (grated) : 1 tbsp
- Garlic (finely chopped) : 1 tbsp
- Green chillies (finely chopped) : 2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Green onions/Spring onion/Scallion (chopped) : 1/2 cup + extra for garnishing
- Soy sauce : 1 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar : 1 tbsp
- Honey : 2 tbsp
- Roasted Peanuts : 1/4 cup
- Corn Starch : 1 tbsp
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Bring water and salt to boil in a pot. Add the millets, return to boil gain. Cover and cook in low heat for about 35-40 minutes.Once done, fluff it up with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a large pan. When hot, add onion (also add the white portion of the green onions)and cook until its soft about 5 minutes.
- Add grated ginger and garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the broccoli, bell pepper and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are crisp and tender.
- Once done, add the cooked millets .Millets should be brought to room temperature before adding .
- Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar ,honey and cornstarch. Drizzle this mixture over the stir fry. Cook until the sauce is well absorbed. Adjust the salt if needed.
- Lastly add roasted peanuts and chopped green onions.
- Serve hot.