Vegetable Pulao is a very flavorful and easy to prepare one pot meal. Mixed vegetables are cooked with rice and flavored with aromatic spices. Its very nutritious and also acts as a great lunch box option.
There are so many different versions of Vegetable Pulao. I myself make 3-4 different types of Vegetable pulao. Today I will be sharing with you my mum's recipe . This was the first type of pulao I learnt to make. Later I started playing with the ingredients and came up with other versions of this dish. Personally for me, this will always be the most favorite version of this dish:) Serve this hot VEGETABLE PULAO with cold raita and you will have a perfect meal on the dinner table..
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 bayleaf
- 6 cashews
- 3 cups mixed vegetables (vegetables of choice could be carrots, green beans, peas, corn, cauliflower, edamame beans etc. In this case, I have used frozen mixed vegetables)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter (optional)
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
To be ground into a paste:
- 10 black peppercorn
- 6 cashews
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- 3 green chilli (adjust according to taste)
- 3 garlic
- 1 inch ginger (cut them into thin slices)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp oil
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Wash the rice 3-4 times and soak it in water for a good 30 minutes. Later, drain and set it aside.
- Take the ingredients under the "Dry Masala" section and make a powder out of them using a dry grinder.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan. When hot, add the ingredients under the "To be ground into a paste" section and saute them. Once done, set it aside to cool. Later,grind them into a thick paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan. When hot , add bay leaf and the cashews. Once the cashews get fried, add the powdered dry masalas and saute for a bit.
- Add in the sliced onions and the ground masala and saute the mixture until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the chopped mixed vegetables and turmeric powder.Cook them covered in medium heat for 5 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, bring 4 cups of water to boil in a separate pot.
- Add the drained rice to the veggies and add the boiling water. Add salt and give it a mix. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat and cook covered until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- When most of the moisture has evaporated, switch off the heat. The rice will continue to cook with the residual heat. Continue to keep the rice covered for about 15-20 minutes.Later, open the lid and slightly fluff the rice using a fork. Drizzle 1 tbsp melted ghee/clarified butter over the Pulao.
- Serve this delicious vegetable pulao with the raita of your choice.
- Amount of water to be used depends on the quality of rice. So adjust accordingly.
- As you can see, I have added cashews in the beginning. If you wish, you can separately fry the cashews in ghee and add them to the prepared Pulao in the end. Personally, I do not like to mix the rice too much after it gets cooked because then the grains tend to break.
- Also, if you have noticed in the procedure above, I added the raw rice, then water and then mixed. Raw Rice (since it has been soaked) can break easily. So give just one mix only after adding the water.
- Cut the veggies into small pieces or thin stripes. That way they will cook early.