Masala Bhaat is a spicy, aromatic vegetable rice preparation commonly prepared in Maharashtrian households. As I mentioned in my previous post on SHRIKHAND, I have had a huge Maharashtrian influence in my life and love Maharashtrian food alot. This is a one pot meal and does not use any garlic or onion.
This rice preparation uses a special spice blend called GODA MASALA. For this rice preparation, I have made the spice blend at home. Every household has a different way of preparing this masala and hence the masala tastes different from house to house. It is readily available in most Indian stores too. This dish is adapted from the recipe that I found here. This is my second post for the current blog Hop event "Gudi Padwa / Ugadi specials".
- Basmati rice : 1 cup
- Egglplants : 2 small (Cut into small pieces and keep it in water until ready to use)
- Capsicum (cubed) : 1/2 cup heaped
- Carrot (cut into thin stripes) : 3/4 cup
- Peas : 1/4 cup
- Deghi Mirch powder or Cayenne pepper : 1/2 tsp
- Spice blend (recipe mentioned below)
- Turmeric powder / Haldi : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing : 1 pinch
- Oil : 3 tbsp
- Bayleaf : 1
- Mustard seeds / rai : 1 tsp
- Cardamom / elaichi : 2
- Cinnamon /dalchini : 1 inch stick
- Cashewnuts : 10-12
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice : 1 tbsp
- Cilantro (finely chopped) : For garnishing
- Fresh shredded coconut : For garnishing
Items needed to make the SPICE BLEND:
- Dry Red Byadgi chillies : 4
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1 tsp
- Caraway seeds / Shah Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds : 2 tsp
- Bayleaf / Tej patta : 1
- Black Peppercorns : 8
- Cloves : 5
- Sesame seeds / Til : 1.5 tbsp
- Dry dessicated coconut : 1.5 tbsp
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile , we can prepare the spice blend. Heat a pan. Now dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under the "Items needed to make the spice blend " section except sesame seeds and dry dessicated coconut. Once the ingredients are well roasted set it aside.In the same pan , dry roast the sesame seeds and dry dessicated coconut separately. Once done , add them to the previously roasted items. Once cooled, using a dry grinder , make a powder out of them. Keep this spice blend aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. When hot add the bayleaf, cardamom, cashewnuts and cinnamon sticks . Saute for a minute. Now add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add in the chopped vegetables. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add in the turmeric powder,asafoetida, deghi mirch powder or cayenne pepper and the freshly ground spice blend. Mix well.
- Heat 2.5 cups of water and add this hot water to the vegetables.
- Drain water from the soaked rice and add the rice to the spiced vegetable mixture. Add salt to taste. Give a light mix. Once the water comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover with a lid and let it cook. Once the moisture has all evaporated, turn off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice .
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro and freshly shredded coconut. Goes well with plain yogurt or raita.