Piyush , a popular drink belonging to the Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine is perfect for summer. Piyush is a rich creamy drink prepared by combining "Shrikhand" with buttermilk and flavored with saffron, nutmeg and cardamom. Its garnished with chopped pistachios and can be relished after a good spicy meal:)
Piyush is very similar to lassi but is thicker in consistency. In this recipe, instead of buttermilk, I have used a combination of yogurt and milk. I have already shared the recipe of Shrikhand in my blog (Click here for the detailed recipe). Kesar- Elaichi Shrikhand works well in the Piyush recipe.
I will share the recipe once again here:)
Recipe for Shrikhand:
- Yogurt : 4 cups
- Powdered sugar : 1/2 cup (adjust according to desired level of sweetness)
- Cardamom powder : 1/4 tsp
- Saffron : 1 pinch soaked in 2 tbsp of warm milk
How to prepare:
- Arrange a colander on top of a vessel. Line this colander with a muslin cloth or a fine cotton cloth. Pour the yogurt on the cloth. You can either squeeze this cloth, tie it and then hang for the water to drain or keep a heavy object on top of the cloth so that water drains away due to the pressure from the heavy object. Keep it aside for 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours , most of the water would have separated and you will have a thick dense mass called CHAKKA. Take this in a bowl.
- Using a dry grinder, powder the sugar along with the cardamom seeds. Keep it aside.
- Also soak the saffron in some warm milk.
- Add the powdered sugar + cardamom to the strained yogurt. Lastly add the saffron soaked in milk.
- Whisk it lightly until everything is well blended.
- Shrikhand is ready.
Now with Shrikhand ready, lets prepare PIYUSH.
INGREDIENTS for preparing PIYUSH:
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Shrikhand : 1 cup
- Yogurt : 1 cup
- Milk : 1.5 cup
- Sugar : 3 tbsp (or as per taste)
- Cardamom powder : 1 pinch
- Nutmeg powder : 1 pinch
- Saffron : a small pinch
- Pistachios (finely chopped) : 1 tbsp for garnish
- Mix the yogurt, milk, shrikhand, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and saffron well with a whisk. You can mix them in an electric blender too.
- Chill for a couple of hours.
- Serve garnish with pistachio bits.
Also check out delicious recipes by the talented Culinary Hoppers..
Piyali (Jhunka Bakar , Matki chi Usal), Anupama (Shengadanachi Amti, Varaicha Bhat),Vani (Batata Vada), Jayashree (Pav Bhaji , Kothimbir Vadi), Padma (Bhakarwadi, Sabudana Vada), Shobana (kolhapuri techa), Parvathy (Sol Kadhi) , Poornima (Jhawachi Bhakri, Bharli Vangi) and Swati (Green peas curry , Tomato rice)