Sambhariya Rice is a delicious one pot rice meal loaded with coriander leaves (Cilantro leaves) and fresh shredded coconut. You can use the vegetables that you have on hand and a wholesome meal is ready in no time. Serve it with papad and raita of your choice.
I came upon this recipe here while I was searching for a rice dish based on Gujarati Cuisine. The recipe is very simple and the liberal usage of coconut will make it a big hit with south indians too:) Most of all this rice dish is GLUTEN FREE ,VEGAN and is NO-ONION NO-GARLIC recipe:)
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Rice (I used Basmati rice ) : 1 cup (uncooked)
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds/ Til : 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves / Kadi Patta : 7-8
- Dry red chillies : 3 (broken)
- Turmeric powder / Haldi : 1/2 tsp +1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp +1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water : 1/4 cup
- Mixed vegetables (chopped) : 2 cups (I used zucchini, carrot and bell pepper)
- Garam Masala : 1.5 tsp
- Freshly grated coconut : 1.5 cup
- Fresh Cilantro leaves (chopped) : 1.5 cup
- Wash the rice properly and cook it by your preferred method. Once done cool the rice completely. If you use hot rice, then it will get mushy while mixing . So using cooled rice is the key:)
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed non stick pan. When hot, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, curry leaves and dry red chillies. When the seeds start to splutter, add the chopped vegetables. Sprinkle some salt. Add 1/4 cup of water and cook covered.
- In a mixing bowl, mix freshly grated coconut, chopped cilantro leaves, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
- Once the vegetables have cooked and all the moisture has evaporated, add the cooked and cooled rice. Add the coconut -cilantro mixture to the rice. Add the garam masala. Adjust the salt (remember, we had added some salt to the veggies earlier). Mix gently.
- Serve hot with papad and raita of your choice.