After posting back to backs posts on drinks like Falooda, Orange Glow, Watermelon Mint Cooler and Kid Sangria, I am back again with a rice recipe.Uddina Anna (in Kannada) or Urad Dal Rice is a simple yet very flavorful rice dish. Rice is aromatically flavored with a spice mix prepared by grinding roasted urad dal (black gram lentils), curry leaves, black peppercorns and dry desiccated coconut into a fine powder.Its a one pot meal and makes a great lunch box option too. Best part is you can use the left over rice to prepare this dish.
I came across this recipe in my dear friend Anupama's blog "Easybites Online". Her blog is filled with such delicious and healthy recipes. Uddina Anna / Urad Dal is such a great meal option especially for the days when you are running late or are super busy. rather than ordering a take out , you can prepare this tasty rice in no time. I have prepared this rice so many times now and loved it each time.
So lets get to the recipe right away..
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Urad dal / Black Gram : 2 tbsp
- Black peppercorns : 1/2 tbsp
- Dry desiccated coconut powder : 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves / Kadi patta : 8-10 +a few for the tempering
- Coconut oil : 1 tbsp (Coconut oil gives very nice taste but you may use vegetable oil or canola oil instead)
- Cooked and cooled rice : 3 cups (I used basmati rice)
- Mustard seeds /Rai seeds : 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Salt as per taste
- Peanuts : 2 tbsp
- Dry roast Urad Dal / Black Gram, black peppercorns and curry leaves. Once the urad dal slightly changes color, set it aside. Also , dry roast the dry dessicated coconut separately.
- Once cooled, grind the roasted urad dal, blackpeppercorns, curry leaves and dry dessicated coconut into a fine powder.Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. When hot, add the mustard seeds, a few curry leaves,dry red chillies and peanuts. Keep stirring until the peanuts change color.
- Add the powdered spice mix. Mix well.
- Now add the cooked and cooled rice. Add salt and mix gently.
- Serve hot with raita of your choice or any gravy based dishes.