Happy Dussera to all my dear friends. Vijaya Dashami or Dussera is an important festival celebrated in India and Nepal. Dussera or Dasha Hara (in Sanskrit) means removal of ten bad qualities (anger, lust, greed, jealousy to name a few) in you . Vijaya Dashami means victory over these bad qualities. The first nine days are celebrated as Navaratri while the tenth day is Vijaya Dashami or Dussera.
Today , I will share with you all a dish that I prepare often during Navaratri "CHANA SUNDAL". It's a simple vegan recipe where cooked chick peas are tempered and flavored with some lime juice and loads of fresh grated coconut. Chana Sundal can be served as a snack with coffee or tea or as a side. This protein rich dish makes a great lunch box option too.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Cooked Chickpeas : 2 cups heaped (If using canned chick peas , use two 15 oz cans. Drain the liquid and rinse the chickpeas with water)
- Oil : 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds / rai : 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / hing : 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder / haldi : 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2
- Curry leaves : 6-8
- Green chillies (small variety) : 2 (chopped or slit length wise)
- Sugar : 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Salt as per taste
- Freshly grated coconut : 1/4 cup
- Lime juice : 1.5 tsp
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non stick pan. When hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and dry red chillies. When the seeds start to crackle, add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add salt and sugar. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly add the freshly grated coconut and the lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve as a snack or a side.