The word "Saasmi" or "Saasve" means mustard seeds. Tomato Onion Saasmi is a curry with cooked tomatoes and onion in a mustard-coconut gravy. This curry is served with rice and usually eaten before the main entree "Sambar" . The saasmi recipes that I have shared earlier are fruit based (Mango Saasmi and Pineapple Saasmi) and have a sweet touch to them. Tomato - Onion Saasmi is savory and spicy in taste. In mango and pineapple saasmi recipes, I used dry red chillies while in this recipe, I have used green chillies.
Sometime back, my sister shared her mother-in-law's recipe. I decided to try it the same day and just loved it:) I have prepared it so many times now and we all love it so much. It is easy to prepare and makes a great side dish.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Tomato (firm ) : 1 cup (chopped)
- Onion : 1 cup (chopped)
- Coconut (freshly grated) : 1 cup (If using, frozen, thaw before use)
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup (Sour yogurt preferred but regular yogurt is fine too)
- Mustard seeds / Rai : 1 tsp
- Green chillies (small variety) : 4 (adjust according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Ghee / clarified butter : 1 tsp
For the tempering:
- Ghee / butter : 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 2 (broken)
- Curry leaves : 6-8
- Heat 1 tsp ghee . When hot, add the chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt and cook the onions until they caramalize a little. Add the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are cooked.
- Grind shredded coconut, green chillies, 1 tsp of mustard and yogurt into a fine paste. Add this paste to the tomato onion mixture. Add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water to adjust the consistency. Mix and bring the mixture to a boil. Add salt as per taste (remember we added a little salt to onions in the beginning). Once it reaches a boil, turn off the heat.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the ghee / clarified heat. When hot, add the mustard seeds and dry red chillies. When the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and turn off the heat. Add the tempering to the the Tomato Onion coconut mixture.
- Tomato onion saasmi is ready. Serve with rice.