Today, I will be sharing with you all a delicious bake " EGGLESS MILK CAKE". I call this cake MILK CAKE as the primary ingredient in this cake is the condensed milk and we add some more regular milk to it. This cake is moist and has a flavorful vanilla flavor.
I have mentioned this a lot of times in my blog that I love baking. The whole house smells so good that it takes me to a very happy place. I have many cake recipes in the blog (Click here to check out the collection). The collection contains both cakes with eggs as well as eggless cakes. I have been getting requests to add more egg-less cakes to this collection. Hence, the coming few months, I will be concentrating more on egg-less baking.
Sometime back, my very good friend from school and college days had posted a pic of the cake that he had made using his mom's recipe. He called it "MILKMAID CAKE" ..named after the popular condensed milk brand available in India. Condensed milk is the essential ingredient in the cake. I had taken the recipe from him but never got around to try it. Finally made it. Although I have changed the measurements a little, but the ingredients are the same.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- All purpose flour / Maida : 250 grams (1 3/4 cup)
- Sweetened condensed milk : 1 tin (approx 400 grams)
- Powdered sugar (icing sugar) : 3 tbsp
- Baking powder : 2 tsp
- Baking soda : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1/4 tsp
- Butter : 1/2 cup (100 grams or 1 stick)
- Milk ( in room temperature) : 3/4 cup or 175 ml (I used low fat milk)
- Boiling water : 4 tbsp or 1/4 cup
- Pure vanilla extract : 2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 325 F or 165 deg Celsius. Grease and dust flour on a 9 inch pan (Instead of greasing and dusting with flour, I used a baking spray:PAM baking spray)
- In a mixing bowl, take flour, salt ,baking powder and baking soda.Mix it. Sift it using a fine sieve.
- Melt the butter and set it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix the condensed milk, icing sugar , milk , melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Add half the wet mixture to the flour mixture and start the stand mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed. As the mixer is running, slowly added the remaining wet mixture. Mix it only till everything is well blended (DO NOT over mix). Lastly add 4 tbsp of hot boiling water and give it a final mix. The batter should not be very thick. ** Note: You can also use hand mixer to mix. If doing by hand, then add the wet ingredients (condensed milk, milk, icing sugar , melted butter and vanilla extract) to the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda) and mix gently with a flat spatula and lastly add the hot water . Mix. **
- Pour the batter in to the prepped pan. (Note: The batter has a thin consistency. So if you plan on using a springform pan like I did, then use a sheet of aluminium foil to cover the bottom . This will prevent the batter from leaking out from the edges.
- Tap the pan 2-3 times and then place it in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes (Note: Baking time differs from oven to oven. After 40 minutes of baking, keep an eye). To check the readiness of the cake, insert a toothpick in the center, if it comes clean, your cake is ready.
- Take the pan out of the oven and place the pan on the cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and place it on the cooling rack to cool.
- Once cooled, you can dust the cake with icing sugar or top it with the frosting of your choice. Another great serving suggestion would be to serve a piece of this cake topped with strawberry compote or sauce (you can check the strawberry sauce recipe here). Serve this cake with coffee or tea.
Pointers for a perfectly baked cake:
- Measure the ingredients correctly. A digital weighing scale is a good investment if you like to bake.
- Use the correct sized pan as mentioned in the recipe.
- For eggless bakes, DO NOT over mix the batter.
- Baking time differs from oven to oven. So keep an eye.
- Always grease and flour the pan. You can also use baking sprays (PAM baking spray).
- Do not open the door again and again (especially during the beginning ).
- Always use ingredients at room temperature.
- It is advisable to sift the dry ingredients.