- Fresh grated coconut 1 cup
- Green chillies 3 *
- Tamarind 1 small piece **
- Cilantro or coriander leaves 1/4 cup chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds or rai 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 4-5
- Red chillies 1 (broken into 2 pieces)
- Grind items 1 to 5 together in to a smooth paste using little water.
- For the tadka, heat some oil . Once the oil is hot, add urad dal , rai and red chillies. Once the rai seeds start popping, add the curry leaves.
- Turn off the heat and add the tadka to the chutney.
* You can adjust the quantity of chillies depending on your spice intake. I use the small variety of green chillies which are much spicier than the long ones.
** In case you do not have the tamarind in your pantry, you can substitute it will 1 tbsp of lemon juice.