Strawberries are in season now and both my son Aditya and my hubby Manish looooooove strawberries (just the same as i looooooove mangoes:)) So for some reason I thought that last Sunday was the father's day and myself and Aditya decided to make a cake. Strawberry shortcake happens to be Manish's favorite , so we decided to do that. I would make the cake and Aditya would help me put together the strawberry shortcake. When everything was ready, I realized that father'day was not that Sunday but is on the 19th of June:)). Anyways who needs an occassion to celebrate.;-) The main purpose was to make Manish happy and that we sure did.
Strawberry shortcake means strawberry sauce over a shortcake which usually is a biscuit. The whole thing is then topped with some whipped cream typically flavored with sugar and vanilla. I do the strawberry shortcake in a different way. This recipe is adapted from the recipe my co- sister's recipe. As a base she uses the dessert cake cups/shells you get in the grocery store. Instead of that, i use a slice of pound cake as the base. Pour the strawberry sauce over the pound cake and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and strawberry shortcake is ready. Its an easy recipe but very very delicious.
Find below the recipe to put together one serving of strawberry shortcake.
- Slice of pound cake - 1
- Strawberry sauce - 3 tbsp or as required (Recipe is given at the end)
- Vanilla ice cream - 1 scoop or as required
- Place the slice of pound cake on a plate or bowl.
- Pour the strawberry sauce over it
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pour some more of the sauce.
- Lastly top it with some whipped cream.
- As mentioned earlier, you can make this recipe "Semi-homemade" by using the dessert cake cups/shells. If you have the sauce and the ice cream in hand, this is an easy to put together dish:)
- Instead of ice cream you can use whipped cream flavored with vanilla and sugar.
- As an alternative to the pound cake, you can use a biscuit slit in to 2. But again i prefer the cake. :))
Recipe for the strawberry sauce:
- Wash and cut the straw berries in to 4 pieces.
- Heat 3/4 cup of water, 2 cups of cut strawberries and 3/4 cup of sugar. (you can reduced add or subtract the quantity of sugar to suit your taste buds)
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- You can use this in strawberry shortcakes or just with vanilla ice cream.
I am sending this recipe to the "Serve it - chilled " event hosted by Denny.