Cauliflower is one amazing vegetable and can be used in a lot of dishes. Cauliflower is low in fat, low in carbohydrates but very high in folate and other nutritional elements. Cauliflower can be boiled, steamed, stir fried, microwaved and even can be eaten raw.
I found this recipe here and tried it . Believe me, it turned out great and is ideal for lunch boxes.
- Cauliflower - 1 medium sized
- Tomatoes - 3 big
- Garlic - 3 pods finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch finely chopped/ minced
- Green chilli - 1 chopped
- Onion - 1 big cut in to thin slices
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Turmeric - 1/4 +1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 +1/2 tsp
- Dhania jeera powder (cumin-coriander powder) - 2 tsp
- MTR pulao masala - 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Frozen peas (optional) - 1/4th cup (if using fresh peas, cook the peas before adding)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Cardamom - 1
- Cook the rice either in the microwave or rice cooker or pressure cooker. Once cooked, set it aside
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Clean the cauliflower and cut it in to small florets and add it to the boiling water. Add ½ tsp turmeric to this water.
- Keep the florets in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the florets remain in this water for a couple minutes. Drain the water and keep the florets aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Once hot, add the drained florets and fry. Add ¼ tsp of red chilli powder. Fry it till they get a crispiness to them.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan, once hot, add the bay leaves, cardamom, cloves and cinnamom stick.
- Add the sliced onions, ginger, garlic and the chopped chillies.
- Blanch the tomatoes and puree them.
- Once the onions have turned translucent, add the pureed tomatoes. Now add all the dry masalas (red chilli powder, turmeric powder, MTR pulao masala and cumin-coriander powder) and mix well. Cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the peas , and mix well.
- Once the peas is well incorporated, then add the fried cauliflower florets and the cooked rice.
- Add salt .
- Mix well. Lastly add cilantro leaves and serve the rice hot with raita or sabzi of your choice.
You can also watch the video on my you tube..:)