Kattu Saaru / Lemon rasam is an easy to prepare rasam made using split pigeon peas / Tuvar dal and does not involve the usage of rasam powder.I like to make this rasam of thin consistency. This ginger- lemon infused rasam is perfect for a cold rainy day.
- Tuval dal or Split pigeon peas : 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Tomato : 1/2 cup chopped
- Ginger : 2 tbsp grated
- Green chillies : 4
- Jaggery (powdered) : 2 tbsp (Adjust according to taste)
- Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil : 1 tsp
- Cilantro : 2 tbsp chopped
For the tempering:
- Ghee or Clarified butter : 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli : 1
- Curry leaves : 5-6
- Wash the split pigeon peas, add 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp turmeric to them and pressure cook them . Once done, mash them until smooth.
- Heat 3 cups of water. Add tomatoes. ginger ,chillies and jaggery to it and cook until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the mashed dal and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add salt
- Lastly, add chopped cilantro, asafoetida and lemon juice . Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- To prepare the tempering, heat ghee/clarified butter. When hot, add cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. When the seeds start to splutter, turn off the heat and pour this tempering over the hot rasam.
- Serve piping hot rasam with steamed rice.