I hope every one had a great and colorful Holi. Holi is a festival colors celebrated during spring. Just the thought of Holi brings back so many fond childhood memories. Playing with friends, getting drenched in colored water, getting hit by water balloons.. super fun. After we were done with the colors, we would clean up and a special delicious Holi lunch would be served for the entire building (where I stayed). Seriously, HOLI and DIWALI are the two festivals I miss the most staying in USA. Especially Holi because we usually have very low temperatures during that part of the month and hence are stuck at home:(. But this year I am happy as the local temple has decided to have a special Holi event in May so that everyone can play with colors in some good weather.
Now coming back to food, traditionally, Thandai is the most popular drink to be prepared and served during this festival. This year, I decided to make something different. I made Badam Pista Carrot Milk. This drink is easy to prepare and can be prepared in a jiffy. Apart from the easy preparation , I have to mention that this drink is very healthy. It has the goodness of carrots, nuts and of course the milk. This drink can be made VEGAN by switching the regular milk with ALMOND MILK or CASHEW MILK.
So here is how you can make this easy, delicious and healthy drink.
Serves : 2-3
Serves : 2-3
- Carrots : 1 cup (sliced)
- Badam / Almonds : 6
- Pista / Pistachios : a few
- Milk : 1.5 cups
- Saffron : 1 pinch soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
- Sugar : 8 tsp (or as per taste)
- Cardamom powder : 1/4 tsp
- For garnishing: a few strands of saffron, chopped pistachios and almonds
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Pressure cook the carrot slices .(You can very well chose any other means of cooking too)
- While the carrots are cooking, soak almonds and pistachios separately in warm water for about 15 minutes. Remove the skin from the almonds.
- Once the cooked carrots have cooled down, grind the almonds, pistachios, soaked saffron, milk and sugar. Lastly , add the cardamom powder.
- Serve chilled, garnished with finely chopped nuts(almonds and pistachios) and strands of saffron.
This post is a part of the BLOG HOP event "HOLI SPECIALS". Also check out many more delicious dishes from the other members of the blog hop group Piyali, Anu, Vani , Padma and Jayashree.