I love baking and my love for it is increasing everyday. I don't need any particular occasion to bake but yes, on every special occasion I like to bake something special. Yesterday, was our marriage anniversary :) So decided to bake something special for the special day. There were some ripe bananas lying on the counter top. So decided to combine chocolate and banana to make a decadent CHOCOLATE BANANA BUNDT CAKE. This is a delicious , moist cake and can be put together in no time. This recipe makes a big cake , ideal when you have guests over.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
Serves : 12-15
For the cake, you will need:
- Unsalted butter : 1 cup ( Two 8 oz sticks at room temperature)
- Cocoa powder : 1/2 cup
- Instant Espresso powder : 1 tbsp
- Water : 1 cup
- All Purpose flour : 2 cups
- Sugar : 2 cups
- Baking Soda : 1 tsp
- Baking Powder : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Bananas (Ripe) : 3
- Non Fat Greek Yogurt or Plain Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- Eggs (at room temperature) : 3 large
- Pure Vanilla Extract : 2 tsp
For the Chocolate Ganache , you will need:
- Semi sweet chocolate : 4 oz (cut into small pieces)
- Heavy whipping cream : 3 oz
- Unsalted butter : 1 tbsp
This is how you make the cake:
- Set the oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with a nonstick baking spray.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt).
- Mash the bananas roughly using a fork. Add in the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and the yogurt. Set it aside.
- Combine cocoa powder, espresso powder, butter and water in a medium sauce pan. Bring this to a boil on a medium heat , stirring continuously. Continue until the mixture is well blended. Turn off the heat and set it aside.
- Add the chocolate espresso mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add in the banana-yogurt-egg-vanilla mixture and whisk the mixture well.
- Add the cake batter to the prepared bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Transfer cake to cooling rack and cool 10 minutes, then invert directly onto the cooling rack and cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
This is how you make the Ganache:
- Mix the heavy whipping cream and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour this hot mixture over the chopped chocolate bits. and let it stand for a couple of minutes. Whisk gently until its smooth.
- You can use dark brown sugar instead of regular sugar.
- Instead of drizzling ganache over the cake, you serve the cake with some icing sugar on top.
- The yogurt can be replaced with sour cream.
- The baking time varies from oven to oven. So keep an eye.