I am back again after a short break with a delicious and easy to prepare rasam recipe "Moong Dal Rasam with coconut milk". It can be served with rice or even as a soup:) It's gluten free and very healthy.
Last few weeks have been so hectic. Renovations in the house, kiddo's school activities etc. I have been cooking simple food like rasam-rice, dal - rice etc. One of the rasams that I prepare often is "Moong Dal Rasam" . I love the flavor of coconut milk in this rasam and when paired with rice, it makes for a comforting meal. Do give this rasam recipe a try, I am sure you will love it:)
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Split Moong bean / moong dal : 1/4 cup
- Green chilli (small variety) : 4 (slit lengthwise)
- Ghee / Clarified butter : 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds / jeera : 1 tsp
- Fresh ginger (grated) : 2 tsp
- Curry leaves / Kadi patta : 7-8
- Dry Red chillies : 2 (broken)
- Turmeric powder (haldi) : 1/4 tsp
- Coconut milk : 1/2 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Lime juice : 1 tsp (optional)
- Cilantro leaves : 1/4 cup chopped
- Wash the split moong bean and add 3/4 cup of water and pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Turn off the heat. Mash the beans and set it aside. (You can cook the dal directly on the stove if you wish.)
- Heat ghee / clarified butter in a deep pot. When hot, add the cumin seeds. When it starts to splutter, add the dry red chillies, curry leaves, green chillies and grated ginger. Saute over medium heat for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked moong dal. Add 3/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder. Bring it to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk. Add salt as per taste. Add in the lime juice and coriander leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Delicious Moong Dal Rasam with coconut milk is ready. It can be served as a soup or serve it with hot rice.