Sabudana Kheer is an easy and delicious pudding prepared during festive times and also popularly prepared and served during fasting days. Soaked Sabudana or tapioca pearls are cooked in milk, sweetened and then flavored with saffron and cardamom powder. Try this tasty pudding / kheer for the upcoming Diwali.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Whole milk : 1000 ml
- Sabudana / Sabakki / Tapioca pearls : 1/2 cup
- Sugar : 1/4 cup +2 tbsp (adjust according to taste)
- Saffron : 1 pinch
- Cardamom powder / Elaichi powder : 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder : 1 small pinch
- Slivered almonds : 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts : 8-10
- Clarified butter / ghee : 2 tsp
- Wash the Sabudana and soak it in 1/2 cup of water for 2 hour.
- Heat ghee / clarified butter. When hot, fry the cashews until golden.
- Heat milk in a thick bottomed pan. Add the saffron and slivered almonds to it.
- When the milk starts to boil, lower the heat.
- Drain the water from the soaked Sabudana and add the Sabudana to the milk. Cook on low heat . Also add the sugar. Keep stirring continuously so that the milk does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until Sabudana turns transparent and soft. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and fried cashews.
- Once the Kheer starts to thicken, turn off the heat. Serve hot or chilled.