Dal Makhani is one of the most popular curries that is ordered in restaurants or dhabas. Tasty and comforting, it goes well with rice of any Indian flatbread (to check out a collection of Indian flatbreads, click here). Today , I bring to you an easy way to prepare this delicious curry...yes ..using a slow cooker. Just dump all (well, almost all) the ingredients , cook in the slow cooker for 8 hours on high (12 hours on low) and voila... the most delicious DAL MAKHANI is ready:)
As you all know, I have been away from blogging quite a bit ..reasons.. hmmm festivities.. family and social commitments ..etc etc.. anyways ..But during this busy time I have been mainly cooking one pot meals or other quick meals options. One day, I was cooking and side by side browsing through one of the food groups in FB.. That's when I came upon this recipe on the blog "My food story" by Richa. I tried her recipe.The recipe was just too good, easy and the outcome was so delicious. I changed the recipe just little but stuck to the original for the most part.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- 1 cup Urad Dal (whole black gram )
- 1/4 cup Chana Dal (split chick peas)
- 1/2 cup Rajma (Kidney Beans)
- 2 cups chopped Tomato
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped Garlic
- 2 heaped tbsp grated Ginger
- 4 whole green Cardamom
- 1 one inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bayleaf / Tej patta
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp-3/4 tsp Red chilli powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (spice blend available in Indian stores)
- 2 green chillies - slit (small variety)
- 1/4 cup Cream (Heavy whipping cream)
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt as per taste
- Cilantro and Ginger Julienne for garnish
- Take the dry lentils in a large vessel . Wash and soak the lentils in hot water overnight (P.S: I stay in a cold place, water is very cold, hence i used hot water for soaking the lentils. I used about 4 cups of hot water).
- After enough soaking, drain the remaining water and add the soaked lentils and all the other ingredients in the list (except kasoori methi, salt and cream. I prefer adding the salt after the lentils have cooked). Add 4 cups of water. Mix well. Cook in the slow cooker on HIGH for 8 hours or until the lentils especially the Kidney beans/Rajma has cooked well (You should be able to mash it between the fingers).
|Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except kasoori methi, cream and salt.|
- Once done, using a masher, mash the lentils lightly. Add salt. Also add cream and Kasoori methi (Rub the Kasoori methi between the palms and then add). Cook on low for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and ginger julienne.
- Serve hot with jeera rice, Pulao or any Indian flatbread.