In India, Chinese cuisine is very popular. From street food to big restaurants, Chinese food is very famous and loved a lot by everyone. One of the many reasons for the wide popularity is that they can be prepared quickly and has abundant flavors.Indian Chinese food is prepared with the Chinese cooking techniques but with flavors that are suited for the Indian taste buds. It is tangy, sweet and spicy. Moreover, the zing in the food lingers in the mouth even after eating.
Some time back I had shared with you all a quick and easy recipe to make Schezwan Noodles. Today, I will be sharing a recipe to make VEGETABLE MANCHURIAN. In this dish, mixed vegetable dumplings are deep fried and then served in a spicy tangy soya sauce based gravy. Vegetable Manchurian is usually served with Chinese style noodles, Fried Rice or even steamed rice.
Reference : Easy Chinese Cooking By Tarla Dalal
For the vegetable balls, you will need:
- Cabbage (finely chopped) : 3.5 cups
- Carrots (grated) : 1 1/4 cup
- Onion (finely chopped) : 1/3 cup
- Cornstarch : 3 tbsp
- All purpose flour (maida) : 6 tbsp
- Garlic (finely chopped) : 2 tbsp
- Green chilli (finely chopped) : 1
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce, you will need:
- Garlic (finely chopped) : 1.5 tbsp
- Green chillies (finely chopped) : 1 tbsp
- Ginger (grated) : 1 tbsp
- Clear vegetable stock or plain water : 1 cup
- Soya sauce : 1 tbsp
- 1.5 tbsp Cornstarch to be mixed with 1 cup of water
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Little spring onion greens for garnishing.
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
To make the vegetable balls
- Mix the cabbage, onion, carrots, garlic, chilli, cornstarch, all purpose flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Shape spoonful of the vegetable mixture into small balls and deep fry them in hot oil until golden brown. Once done, drain them in an absorbent paper.
- Set the fried balls aside until ready to be used.
To make the sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok/pan on high heat.To this , add the garlic, ginger and green chillies. Fry for a couple of minutes on high heat.
- Add the vegetable stock / water, soya sauce, sugar , cornstarch paste and salt. Mix well. Simmer for a few minutes. Note : If the sauce seems too thick after the simmer, add little water to adjust the consistency. If you feel the sauce is too runny, mix some additional cornstarch with water and add it to the sauce.
- When you are ready to serve, add the deep fried vegetable balls to the sauce and bring it to a boil. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot. I served VEGETABLE MANCHURIAN with Schezwan noodles.