Potato is one of most loved vegetables world wide. It can be used in appetizers,as a side or even as dessert. Yes, you heard it right..potatoes in dessert:) Today, I will be sharing a recipe for POTATO PUDDING or ALOO HALWA. The potatoes give a creamy texture to the halwa. The toasted nuts and almonds add some richness to this yummy deliccay. Its easy to prepare and its GLUTEN FREE.
This post is a part of the Blog Hop Event "Potato Specials". When this topic was decided, I had decided to make the popular Indian flat bread "Aloo Parata", but later decided to post this delicious " Aloo Halwa" recipe. This recipe was suggested by my mom, so thought will try. I was very happy with the outcome. Soon after this post, I promise I will post the recipe of Aloo parata:)
So lets get started with the recipe:
Note: All measurements are based on the US measuring cup and spoon sizes where 1 cup = 235 ml
- Potato : 3 large (approx. 500 grams)
- Ghee / Clarified butter : 3 tbsp +2 tsp
- Sugar : 180 grams (3/4 cup . Adjust according to taste)
- Cream : 1/3 cup
- Cardamom powder / Elaichi powder : 1/2 tsp
- Slivered almonds : 2 tbsp
- Cashews : 10
- Raisins : 10-15
- Milk : 2 tbsp
- Saffron : 1 pinch
- Everest milk masala : 1/2 tsp (For garnish . Its optional)
- Cook the potatoes in enough water until done. Once done, remove from the water and set aside to cool.Peel the potatoes. Mash them well.
- Soak saffron in 2 tbsp warm milk for 20 minutes. Gently rub the saffron strands with the fingers. Set it aside.
- Fry the cashews and the raisins in 2 tsp of ghee/clarified butter . Set it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter in a thick bottomed pan.Add the mashed potatoes and cook on low- medium heat. Mix regularly taking care that the potatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes slightly change color.
- Add the cream and sugar. Mix well. Continue to cook on low-medium heat. Add the saffron soaked milk. Mix well.
- Once all the moisture has evaporated, add the cardamom powder .Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee and give it a final mix and turn off the heat.
- Take it out in a serving bowl. Sprinkle some Everest milk masala .Garnish with fried cashews and raisins, slivered almonds and serve warm.
Masaledaar Aloo ki sabzi / Spiced potato cubes
Spicy Potato Sabzi (Maharashtrian style)
Baby Potatoes in red bell pepper gravy